Sunday, May 1, 2011

It all started with Mother Hen of the Hen House



Those that know me, know I am NOT a camper. Simply, I don't like bugs, odors or noise. All of which are a big part of roughing it.

So when our Girl Scout troop voted on camping at, Marmon Valley Christian Farm, for their annual overnight trip, as you can imagine, I was not thrilled.

I volunteered to drive which gave me a sense of relief knowing I had an escape plan. I knew I was in trouble when I met with the other Mom's and I was teased for wearing my sketchers and not my sneakers, for wearing my white jeans jacket instead of a sweatshirt and for wearing my bling. To my defense, most of my attire was purchased at Goodwill and I felt like I was 'dressing down'.

During the 1.5 hour drive through the countryside, I kept my smile on and tried not to think about the....

Restored Hen House = sleeping quarters = bugs
Horse Trails = manure = odors
Organized Campground = rambunctious kids = noise

What I didn't expect was the opportunity of a lifetime to watch my daughter grow. To see her for the young woman she is becoming. As my first born, I can't help but Mother Hen her and always feel the need to hover & protect.

I promised myself on this trip I would observe, rather than hover & protect.

This is what I learned.

1. During the team building challenges, she demonstrated many strong leadership skills. Yet she was also able to sit and listen and learn from others.


2. Although she has never been around a horse, she was not intimidated by their size. She was eager to learn from Wrangler Matt, groom the horses, talk to the horses. She didn't hesitate to walk amongst the horses, as if she'd done this 100 times.




3. I learned she is not afraid to stand up in front of complete strangers. During the outdoor cowboy church service, when asked if anyone has a favorite song or hymnn they would like to share, she stood up and sang, "Sing Alleluia" to +50 strangers.


4. I learned she is no longer the little girl that hides between my legs begging me not to make her participate. She held the bunnies in the bunny house. She giggled watching the goats play hide-n-seek. She explored the barns.

She walked the tight rope across the creek and eagerly scaled the rock wall.


5. I was most impressed with her ability to observe her fellow girl scouts and slow down enough to encourage someone a little apprehensive to try something new and/or cheer on someone meeting their own goals.

I met my goal. I did not hover & protect. I stood back and observed.

I came home with a happier heart for it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of Lexi AND of you! I am getting my tent ready for you to come camping when I get home, heehee

    ReplyDelete

LBs Sewing Sanity now has a FAN page on Facebook! For referral discounts and monthly giveaways, check out LB's Sewing Sanity Fan Page Today!

Followers