Friday, April 23, 2010

All the right tools and supplies

One might argue, I like to collect things. One might also argue, I like to compartmentalize my things. I've even been known to spend hours organizing and reorganizing my things until they are both functional and pleasing to the eye.

Having said that, I thought I would share a few of my favorite tools and collections in the studio.

For starters, I love my June Taylor quilting press which all my supplies are currently staged on. Having grown up one of six kids, scissors were something never to be found in our house. And using Mom's sewing scissors on paper was grounds for disownment!




Yes, it may appear to be too many scissors, but, if you sew, I'm sure you'll completely agree you need different scissors for different projects. I started using a rotary cutter 15 years ago. I LOVE cutting out all of my sewing projects with the rotary cutter. Almost feels foreign using scissors to cut-out a fabric project with scissors. If you haven't noticed, they are very sharp and I'm surprised most of the rotary cutters available today, do not have a guide to protect your hands.

On a side note, while cutting out a quilt many years ago, I sliced off part of my left pointer finger. This was when the show "ER" was very popular. I was living alone at the time. I felt very faint. I called a taxi cab to take me to the emergency room. I brought the corner of my finger, which still had part of my finger nail attached, with me to the ER, in a baggie on ice. They were very polite not to laugh at me when I showed them my iced finger chunk, however, I'm sure it made for great dinner table discussion that night! Needless to say my finger healed just fine. Back to the point of this post....

I think you'll also agree you never have too much thread. I love my chest of embroidery thread.



All the colors of the rainbow....


Even with all the neatness of the embroidery thread chest 0f drawers & the Gutermann rack, I still can't part with a basket full of thread. I love digging to the bottom of the basket to find a new spool to wind up my bobbins.




Sitting on my workstation, I also keep a basket of my patterns. These aren't very photogenic since they are my own patterns made with muslin and my chicken scratch notes all over them.



Just look at all those D rings for the aprons, wristlets & diaper caddy's. Grommets for the backpacks, and silver shank buttons waiting to be dressed.


Based on the above picture, would you believe me if I told you I had to go to the fabric store the other night because I needed a zipper. Unbelievable. My kids inventoried the zippers for me after the new year. 100's of zippers and I didn't have the right color for an LBs purse!

I would love to hear about your favorite sewing tools, garden tools, or kitchen gadgets.

Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of thread!
    Remember in Eastford when we spent the weekend stamping? We spent about 80% of the time organizing the table...to include little bowls of chocolates (that is a very bad habit!).
    Please be careful with your rotary cutter!
    Hope your week is a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    That is one organized space. I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants, then look everywhere for my belt to keep them on!

    ReplyDelete

LBs Sewing Sanity now has a FAN page on Facebook! For referral discounts and monthly giveaways, check out LB's Sewing Sanity Fan Page Today!

Followers